Ideas for Fundraising from Members at the 2104
- Gently used purse sale. Recruit product from whole
hospital. Serve tea and cookies during the sale
- Sell shamrocks for St Patrick’s Day, lilies
at Easter, plants at Mother’s Day
- Annual garage sale of donated items (raised $20,000)
- Koeze’s nuts at Christmas (raised $5,000)
- Christmas Tree Ball. Live/silent auction of donated
items. Tickets were $60.00
- Craft show. Volunteers and Employees buy tables.
- Annie’s Volunteers knit, sew, and bake and
then have sale
- Craft sale before Thanksgiving and Mother’s
- Hospital logo sweatshirt sale
- Flat screen TV raffle
- Decorate Christmas tree with homemade and bought
ornaments which are purchased with a donation
- Each department decorations and displays a holiday
wreath. Pennies in a jar are used as votes for the wreaths.
Paper dollars are negative votes. Rolled coins count
double. This is a fun contest for bragging rights.
Ideas for Recruiting
- Word of mouth
- Notification at churches/bulletins
- Volunteer booths at fairs
- Advertise on public TV or station’s public
- Have brochures at hospital and business cards at
- Go to senior centers
- Use online applications
- Facebook/social media
- Service group presentations
- “Bring a friend” picnic or tea
- Add to “news reels” if used in hospital
- Open house in volunteer office 2/3 times a year
- Ask for current volunteer referrals
- Have applications at Fundraising events.
Ask Tawas St. Joseph Health System about their
last three successful raffles:
- Harley Davison Motorcycle - $29,080 Profit
- John Deere Riding Lawnmower - $26,000 Profit
- John Deere Gator - $29,045 Profit
We can tell you the "who, what, where, when, and
why" of our raffles. Contact
HATS for HOPE:
"Hats for Hope" assists patients through
the MGH Wig Salon
- Funded by Marquette General Hospital Volunteers,
the MGH Wig Salon provides new wigs, hats and scarves
at no cost to patients who are experiencing hair loss
due to cancer treatment or other medical conditions.
- Patients throughout the Upper Peninsula utilize
the services of the Wig Salon. When the Sports Editor
of Marquette’s Mining Journal (Renee Prusi) experienced
hair loss due to chemotherapy, she had the opportunity
to be helped by the MGH Wig Salon.
- Recognizing the value of this “free service”
to patients, the Publisher of the newspaper issued a
challenge to area businesses to hold a "Hats
for Hope" event. For a donation to the Wig
Salon, employees can wear a hat of their choice for
the day and then their group photo of the employees
wearing the hats will be published in the Mining Journal.
- More information may be obtained by contacting Sports
Editor at (906) 228-2500 ext. 253 or
or Karol Pokley,
Director of Volunteer services at MGH.
Previously owned Christmas decorations sale:
- Ask volunteers to bring in Christmas ornaments and
decorations that are still in great shape, but that
they are just tired of.
- Put a price on the items and hold a sale.
- This is just like a bake sale, except instead of
goodies to eat, you have Christmas goodies to decorate
GIFT SHOP ITEM: Medical Information Jump Drives
- A great volunteer opportunity and community outreach
project. The hospital gift shop sells "jump drives"
with their logo on it. This brings money into the gift
shop and gets the hospital logo out to more people.
- The purpose of selling the jump drives is to have
all of the person's medical information downloaded to
it. Doctors, medications, next of kin etc.
- These jump drives can go on your key chain. If you
are in an accident or just going to the doctors you
can hand them the jump drive to plug into their computers
and they have all your medical information.
- You can set up a volunteer program where you offer
the service of a volunteer to download the information
onto the jump drive if the person doesn't know how.
- This creates a new volunteer opportunity - that
of downloading information and it is a great community